Johnstone Strait is rich in marine life and is also a very diverse paddling environment. We will meet you at Comox Valley Airport (YQQ) on August 21st and shuttle you for the four-hour journey up to Telegraph Cove for a pre-trip briefing. We will stay the night before our first day on-trip in a heritage building on the pier in Telegraph Cove which is included in the cost of your trip. Departing from Telegraph Cove on the morning of August 22nd we will start our exploration of Johnstone Strait.
Johnstone Strait is renowned for its resident and transient Orca, Humpback Whales, Bald Eagles, Seals, and a plethora of other marine life. The biodiversity in the area is a sight to see as we paddle and experience life below us, around us, on the shore, and flying overhead. This temperate rainforest is one of the most biodiverse areas in North America where we will see signs of the area’s indigenous inhabitants, and paddle in areas most sea kayak tour companies never get to.
During our trip, all meals and group equipment are included as we show you the best sites in the area. We will paddle all the way through the Broughton group exploring the stunning archipelago as we go. On our final day, we will get picked up by a boat and shuttled back to Telegraph Cove. Using a boat shuttle for our return trip allows us the opportunity to travel as far as possible while kayaking, without retracing any of our strokes. In previous years, we paddled from Vancouver Island all the way to the mainland through a maze of beautiful islands!
Once back in town, we will head out for a final meal together as a group and stay with our local accommodation provider again. On our final day together August 29th, we will shuttle you back to Comox airport to start your homeward journey or to head out on your own to explore beautiful Vancouver Island.
Participant Skill Level
Please contact us with any question related to these trip prerequisites.
- Paddle Canada Level 1 Skills or equivalent knowledge
- Experience with wet-exits and rescues
A day-by-day plan to guide your journey ahead. Just keep in mind that it may change due to weather or group needs.
Meet Your Guides
Dympna is co-owner and operator, of Ontario Sea Kayak Centre along with her partner and husband James. She loves sharing her craft with others through her coaching on skills courses and through her guiding while on kayaking trips.
James started kayaking at 18. Since then his paddling career has taken him all over the world as an expedition leader and senior kayak instructor.
Don’t worry, we’ve got this covered.
- Shuttles to and from Comox Airport direct to Telegraph Cove
- Accommodation in Telegraph Cove Aug 21st and 28th Pre and Post Trip
- Sea Kayaks and all safety gear
- All group camping gear including Expedition first aid kit
- Boat shuttle return from the Broughton Archipelago to Telegraph Cove
- Local Guide to share local knowledge, history and the best camping sites.
- OSKC guides, James and Dympna, are Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia trained, they are also senior level Paddle Canada Instructor Trainers.
- Land use fees and park fees
- All meals, snacks and hot drinks while on trip from snack day 1 morning to snack day 7 afternoon
What's Not Included
- Flights to and from Comox Airport
- Personal camping gear. (Tent, Sleeping Bag and Sleeping Mat)
- Travel, Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance. (Recommended)
- Meals in town before and after the trip
What You Should Bring
A detailed gear list is sent before the start of the trip but this can get you started.
- Tent, Sleeping Bag and Sleeping Mat
- Max 15 Litre Drybags for your gear
- On-Water clothing and layers. (Drysuit or Wetsuit)
- On-Land clothing, layers and rain gear
- Detailed gear-list provided
I had a wonderful time! Stress-free and well organized.
Drive your Car
If you choose to drive or you already live on Vancouver Island we will meet you at Telegraph Cove, BC
Nearest International Airport
If you are flying in to Vancouver Island we will meet you at Comox Valley Airport (YQQ) on Aug 21st 2023.
Pre and Post-Trip Accommodation
Pre and Post-trip accommodation is included with this trip. We will also bring you to and from Comox Valley Airport to the accommodation provider in Telegraph Cove at the start and finish of the trip.
The Small Print
We are happy to answer any questions you may have about this trip or about any of our other trips or courses.