The Paddle Canada Level 2 skills is one of our most popular courses and will transform day paddlers into kayak trippers by increasing personal paddling skills and knowledge of navigation on the water. Along the beautiful and rugged Shores of Georgian Bay, paddlers gain the skills and experience to head out on overnight trips with friends and paddling clubs.
Immersed in the fresh air and beauty of a wilderness classroom and the crystal clear waters of Georgian Bay, Paddle Canada Level 2 participants will learn and work together, taking turns to lead the group to plan routes and play the victim who needs rescuing! This is a fun course that lets you learn by actually getting out and paddling in a number of stunning locations in our UNESCO Georgian Bay Biosphere Reserve. Our incredibly highly trained and experienced instructors have been teaching the Paddle Canada system for as long as Paddle Canada has existed. We have the patience and know-how to help you improve your skills dramatically.
Paddle Canada Level 2 skills certification may be achieved during this course upon meeting the required standards. We are passionate about helping paddlers pursue their goals. Assessment is ongoing during the trip, with one-on-one assistance provided for skills that aren’t clicking.
During the course, we recommend booking to stay with our sister company Harmony Outdoor Inn, use the discount code “OSKCstudent” to receive 15% off a prospector tent or B&B accommodation. You can also find cheap motels and campgrounds in the region.
SPRING SPECIAL: For the May 11th-14th course accommodation is included in Prospector Tents at Harmony Outdoor Inn free of charge!
What You Will Learn
- Efficient forward strokes
- New maneuvering skills
- Kayak rolling
- Towing and Advanced Rescues
- Monitoring and predicting the weather
- Land and water based navigation
- Food preparation and water purification
- Shelter skills
Our certified instructors are some of Canada’s best!
Greg has been paddling and teaching kayaking on Georgian Bay for around 25 yrs… since he was not but a wee grasshopper.
Ray Boucher lives in Wawa Ontario with his wife Patty. Ray has been a school teacher and an x-ray technologist, and enjoys spending his time working and recreating in the outdoors.
Dympna is co-owner and operator, of Ontario Sea Kayak Centre along with her partner and husband James. She loves sharing her craft with others through her coaching on skills courses and through her guiding while on kayaking trips.
David Johnston has been introducing people to the sport of sea kayaking for the past 20 years. He is a senior instructor trainer with Paddle Canada.
Jeff is the primary instructor/mentor for all new recruits with a large southern Ontario Police Service. He also instructs senior level adult education, mental resiliency/leadership and supervisory courses.
James started kayaking at 18. Since then his paddling career has taken him all over the world as an expedition leader and senior kayak instructor.
Please contact us with any question related to these trip prerequisites.
- Paddle Canada Level 1 (or equivalent via other classes and experience), which includes theory, basic strokes, wet exit, plus self and assisted rescues.
- At least 3 one-day long kayaking trips.
- Wilderness first aid (16-hour) course recommended
Don’t worry, we’ve got this covered.
- Four days of sea kayak instruction.
- Certification (on meeting standard) and registration with Paddle Canada.
- Complimentary copy of: Navigation, Sea state and Weather. A Paddler’s Manual.
- Expedition First Aid Kit. Guides are Wilderness Medical Associates First Responder Certified.
What's Not Included
- Day-trip Parking Fees - (Carpooling will allow parking fees and emissions to be reduced.)
- Meals during the course. You have access to our outdoor kitchen. We are 5 minutes from grocery stores and restaurants.
- Accommodation during the course. (Available with our sister company www.harmonyoutdoorinn.com
What You Should Bring
A detailed gear list is sent before the start of the trip but this can get you started.
- A full touring kayak with double bulk heads, kayaks are available for rent, please contact us for details.
- All Transport Canada required safety gear as well as a skirt and paddle float. Spare paddles available to lend upon request.
- A personal towing system. Available to rent upon request but you really should have your own. Further details will be sent out pre-trip with gear list
- Charts or Topo map of paddling location. Further details will be sent out pre-trip with gear list.
- Compass and Navigation aids. Further details will be sent out pre-trip with gear list.
- Sleeping bag or blankets for use in our basecamp prospector tents.
- Personal on-water garments
- Other personal items for comfort such as extra snacks, sunscreen etc.
Know someone who wants to take this course?
Ontario Sea Kayak Centre
Parry Sound, Ontario
We will start the course at our base here in Parry Sound.
Driving Directions Address:Ontario Sea Kayak Centre
6 Harmony Lane
Parry Sound, ON
Ontario Sea Kayak Centre
Parry Sound, Ontario
We will start the course at our base here in Parry Sound.Get Driving Directions
What a boost to your kayaking self-confidence to have Dympna and James alongside you in the water! Their wet exit demonstration and one-on-one support made learning fun not fearful.
We are more than willing to accommodate you in any way that we can. Contact us to see how we can help!
We are happy to answer any questions you may have about our Paddle Canada kayak courses. Please email or call us 1-905-399-1216
We are happy to answer any questions you may have about this trip or about any of our other trips or courses.