The Paddle Canada Level 4 skills course covers advanced paddling skills, problem-solving, group dynamics, and leadership during a multi-day trip in a rough-water environment. The course will focus on the student’s ability to confidently sea kayak in class-4 water conditions along remote and exposed open coast for an extended trip. The student will be an effective part of a group of peers, able to perform both leadership and supportive roles.
This scenario-driven course will challenge paddlers to navigate this exposed coastline as a peer group finding solutions to problems posed by the instructors, elements, and geography we encounter. This is the highest level in the Paddle Canada sea kayaking program. It is about showing up with your paddling/rescue and touring systems and putting them to the test.
2022 Course. We are going to be adding a Paddle Canada Level 4 skills course for the fall of 2021. Please contact [email protected] if you are interested in this course.
What You Will Learn
- Advanced paddling skills.
- On-water problem solving.
- Group dynamics.
- Leadership skills.
Please contact us with any question related to these trip prerequisites.
- Paddle Canada Level 3 Certification or equivalent.
- At least 10 day-trips kayaking in class-3 conditions.
- A minimum of three extended trips totalling 10 or more overnights. The student must show evidence (e.g. weather/sea state logs, photography or video) that they spent a minimum of five days during any trip in class-3 conditions.
- An ability to confidently roll (on one side) in class-3 conditions is essential.
- Wilderness first aid certification (36 hours) with CPR is strongly recommended.
- Restricted Radio Operator's Licence (marine VHF) is strongly recommended.
Don’t worry, we’ve got this covered.
- Paddle Canada Certified Instructors
- Five days of instruction
What's Not Included
- Sea Kayak and paddling equipment
- Camping gear and food
What You Should Bring
A detailed gear list is sent before the start of the trip but this can get you started.
- A Sea Kayak with all required paddling gear
- Camping equipment and meals to sustain you on a multi-day journey
- A VHF Radio with required licensing
It was a great time. The Instructors were tremendous people with vast knowledge and precision execution of skills. We had 2 people In our group whose skill set was well below everyone else. Both instructors showed nurturing patience that not only provide the weak paddlers' comfort but the rest of us with the license to push ourselves at the same time.