By the time students come back to us for a Paddle Canada Level 3 course they are usually already venturing competently on multi-day trips. Additional coaching in a more dynamic environment takes paddlers to the next level.
Learn advanced rough water paddling skills, leadership, and group management for multi-day trips in class-3 water. Group members take turns leading and making decisions based upon weather and sea state during a multi-day journey. At this level, participants will work out solutions to possible scenarios in dynamic conditions. There will be much less instruction and teaching at this level and more learning from debriefing scenarios and from the peer group that we form.
We teach this level in an ego-free, challenge-by-choice environment and encourage all genders and ages to come and have fun learning and progressing in this sport.
What You Will Learn
- Practical application of leadership and group management.
- Risk assessment and incident management.
- Judgment and decision-making.
- General seamanship skills.
- Knowledge and experience to take dynamic multi-day kayaking trips on the ocean.
- Improved stroke technique and efficiency.
Please contact us with any question related to these trip prerequisites.
- Paddle Canada Level-2 skills or equivalent.
- Well-developed strokes (efficient forward paddling, bracing, and the ability to flow strokes together).
- Confidence in waves and current.
- Rolling and towing are necessary at this level. (Contact us for private rolling coaching before the course).
Don’t worry, we’ve got this covered.
- Paddle Canada certified instructors.
- Five days of instruction.
What's Not Included
- Sea Kayak and paddling equipment (rental options available during registration).
- Camping gear and food.
Lessons in Lake Superior Provincial Park, Ontario
Lake Superior Provincial Park is on the East Coast of Lake Superior, 45 mins north of Sault Ste Marie. We chose this location for its wilderness camping, exposed shoreline, and dynamic conditions.
You will meet at Lake Superior Provincial Park and from there head off up the coast, camping, learning and training along the route.
Our certified instructors are some of Canada’s best!
David Johnston has been introducing people to the sport of sea kayaking for the past 20 years. He is a senior instructor trainer with Paddle Canada.
Ray Boucher lives in Wawa Ontario with his wife Patty. Ray has been a school teacher and an x-ray technologist, and enjoys spending his time working and recreating in the outdoors.
Your Level one course was amazing. The demonstrations were clear and concise. Your feedback or coaching was very helpful. You both answered my many questions with clarity and patience.